Naturalization & Citizenship: Becoming a United States Citizen
New York City Immigration Attorney
Obtaining United States citizenship grants you further rights than you previously enjoyed, such as the right to vote and to come and go from the U.S. as you please. It also addresses the insecurity surrounding your immigrant status that exists even for permanent residents, which can have their residency revoked in certain circumstances. If you wish to pursue citizenship, talk to a New York City immigration lawyer from our firm. We can review your case and give you an idea of what may be involved in the process, depending on your circumstances.
What are the requirements for naturalization?
The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) lays out the requirements for naturalization, which include:
- A specific period of continuous residence in the United States
- Meeting the requirements of physical presence within the U.S. over a certain time period
- State residency requirements for filing purposes
- The ability to speak, read and write English
- A knowledge and understanding of United States government and history
- Attachment to the principles of the Constitution
- Being of good moral character
- Favorable disposition toward the United States
Citizenship Help from a NYC Immigration Lawyer
If you wish to become a citizen but are concerned about meeting the requirements, talk to a legal professional at Musa-Obregon & Associates. Our detailed knowledge of immigration law allows us to effectively seek solutions to seeming barriers or potential problems. While all applicants must demonstrate a favorable position toward the United States as well as good moral character, other points of qualification may be modified or waived in certain circumstances.
We can address the need for this, as well as complications arising from illegal residency and similar concerns. The smallest mistake can endanger the entire process and your future, so don't take a chance. Take advantage of our experience and ability to navigate even the most complex cases. Contact a New York City citizenship attorney for help with the naturalization process if you wish to become a U.S. citizen. We are here to guide and support you.